The Proverbs 31 Husband

Can we understand love? Well, what kind of love are we talking about?
Eros, the erotic love? You know, the sweet romance that a man portrays as he pursues the lady of his colors. The mysterious, butterfly type love.
Philos, the love of a friend? The love that carries us through the days we live. The love that not only comforts us in our time of despair, but also is stern and accountable to the character we hope to mold into in hopes of becoming more like Christ.
Or are we speaking of Agape? The unconditional love that we attribute to our glorious father? The affection that chases us down dark alleys as we leap into darkness.

Is it really that distinct? I'm thinking no. I propose that there are specific overlaps within these loves. Overlaps that are tailored to each person, each relationship, each circumstance.
If we are to marry, shall we love only erotically? The physicality of our union comes from the love of our flesh. Essential, but a failed marriage if conclusive at that. 
Shall I also love my husband as my friend? Of course. I will pursue his friendship as he pursues my heart. If love was emotional, if love is based on happiness through feelings and momentary whims of sentiment, then where will I find deep-rooted truth in my alliance? What then would that make of my marriage in times hardship?
So throw in some Agape and call it a day,
But do we understand that love? Do we understand a love that continually, without question, seeks our hearts when it is nothing less than our very nature to reject it? While we abandon ourselves to the fondness of this world, apart from God, He not only patiently awaits our return, but He runs to meet us. Just as the father ran around the bend to meet the prodigal son upon his journey back to the home of his open-armed father, our heavenly maker seeks His bride-- His church.

"I know I will never be ready to be a wife to my earthly husband until I learn how to be a bride to my heavenly groom"

I stand amazed that our Father would have such a deep love for us that He would consider us His bride. Soak that in for a minute. His bride! The most intimate relationship we can possibly imagine as human beings. The bride is known intimately by her groom; there are matters in the heart of the bride that are only known by her husband. And yet there is public evidence of the stated marriage, Not just by the ring on her left hand, but by the way she interacts with others. How she is vigilant when speaking with another man. How her cup overflows with enough love to disperse to each person she interacts with-- friends, family, strangers, acquaintances. She returns home to a groom who floods her with the love she needs, the love she admires, the love that is so secure that she could never question its existence or credibility. 
This is it. This is love that God has for us! It's endless, it's persistent, it runs over and is poured out to people around us.
Proverbs 31 describes a woman who is virtuous. A woman who has it so together that her husband praises her.But have we gone so far in tainting the Holy Word that we assume this is a worldly husband and wife? What if the praising husband isn't an earthly man that we sit and wait around for? What if it's our Father? You know, the one that called us His bride?
I have spent too many years waiting on this "husband." I even had myself convinced that it was unfair to me that God would describe His love for us as that of a bride and groom, yet never gave me a groom to experience what that love feels like. Woah, have I been backwards!
God's love for us is an example of how our marriage is to be. I know I will never be ready to be a wife to my earthly husband until I learn how to be a bride to my heavenly groom. As we are in quest of our Father's heart, He becomes the object of our affection. Once we fall in love with our Savior, we are able to stop pitying in our earthly desires and begin living the life God intended for us. A life abundant in hope and love. 




"The affection that chases us down dark alleys as we leap into darkness."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Still My Bitter Heart

Paralytic Passions, Crippling Contentment

The Redemptive Love Affair