Lessons from a Toddler

Talk about a kid who is all about being outside, working with great-papaw in the garden, and fixing cars with his daddy. My nephew is almost two and is on his way to being a hard-working young man.

Lately, he has been infatuated with the tractor, (which is really the lawn mower, but we won't wreck his dreams). I am convinced he lays down for his nap and dreams about riding the {tractor} all around our property. When he opens his sleepy eyes, before he can even comprehend where he is, he starts pleading with one simple word, "tractor!"

This kid is eating, sleeping, breathing this tractor. My papaw is loving the time he gets to spend with the kid just riding around with him. It reminds me of when my sister and I used to love riding up and down the street on the lawn mower when we were little, too. I've watched my nephew breathe a fresh life into my grandparents. The light in their eyes when he is here is something I can't begin to explain. 

The passion the little guy has for this {tractor} is a passion to be envied. I have asked myself if there is anything in this world that I am as equally passionate about. I was disappointed to think that the first thing that comes to my mind when I wake up, encompasses either how much longer can I lay here, or how many text messages are waiting on my phone to answer. Wow, what an inward-focused way to orchestrate my morning. 

What if when I opened my eyes to start a new day, the Lord was on my heart in a way that I must have gone to sleep thinking about Him? A passion for time with Jesus that I anxiously dream about. An eagerness that brightens up everyone around me! 

Maybe when you're a little older, you'll understand how you taught us all some very valuable lessons in life. Your non-stop desire to explore the world around you has created a more lively life for all of us. You've reminded us that this life is full of adventure outside of our daily routines. Thank you for reminding me, during what seems like a very dull season of life, that I can create my own passions and wake up each morning ready to serve the Lord and experience life with you and everyone around me. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Still My Bitter Heart

Paralytic Passions, Crippling Contentment

The Redemptive Love Affair