Convenience or Obedience? -- Heirs of Grace, Part 1: Intro

When I was in high school, it was the rule that chores came before homework. I never really understood that commandment. I didn't know why a few dirty dishes trumped expressive algebra. I mean, those dishes were always going to serve one purpose, but my future career depended on my scholastic success. So instead of tending to the soiled towels that had been in the hamper since at least two Tuesdays ago, I chose homework first. I was reprimanded every day for my choice. Mainly having my cell phone taken away (which let's be honest, is detrimental to social acceptance in the world of teenage angst). And yet, I never corrected the behavior. I was right, dad was wrong; and besides, there were more clean towels in the closet and you can totally just eat your cereal with a clean fork.

I chose convenience over obedience.

I recently started an extensive study on the book of Judges. And thanks to the help of Tim Keller, I've noticed that time and time again, Israel chose convenience over obedience. The Lord told Judah to go against the Canaanites. So Judah jumped out of his seat, empty handed, and trudged to the Canaanites taking them down single-handedly. Right? 

Wrong.

Naturally Judah turned to his brother Simeon and said (paraphrasing here), "Let's build a small army, gather our weapons, and sneak in on the Canaanites to take them down." And that's pretty much what they did. But was that what the God of the universe told Judah to do? Judah and Israel were faithful, but never fully relying on the Lord to deliver on His promise. Judah needed the security of more men, more tactic, and more mortal strength. 

Thankfully, God still delivered on His promise, and time after time, Judah and his army defeated the people of each land they were instructed. The catch is that they failed a few times. Instead of destroying the Canaanites, the Canaanites became slaves to them. So then, Judah and Israel were living among these idol-worshippers (which will prove detrimental later on).

It was more convenient to have an army than to fully obey and take a risk that required more than full confidence in the Lord. It's more convenient to manipulate our elders than to trust the Lord will be just. It's more convenient to lie than to have the good-intended truth be mistaken for something sinful. It's more convenient to only do ministry for wages instead of believing that the Lord will provide financially if you serve Him in ministry as a sacrifice of time and money.

These are natural, common sense decisions that you and I make everyday. And although they seem minor and insignificant, they are a direct reflection of our lack of faith. Scripture says if we have the faith the size of a mustard seed, we could MOVE MOUNTAINS. (fyi: mustard seeds are really small).

The good news is that we are loved. Over and over we rely on our own strengths and material security to relieve our anxiety and get us through life. But God still uses us and our weaknesses to bring Him glory and work things out for our good if we are striving each day to live according to His purpose. That's the joy of being sons and daughters of the one true God-- we get His inheritance-- we are heirs of grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Still My Bitter Heart

Paralytic Passions, Crippling Contentment

The Redemptive Love Affair