The Other Woman


She's stunning -- beautiful even without make-up.
She's brave and strong but meek and effortlessly submissive.
She's inquisitive but never argumentative.
She has mastered the art of motherhood having never bore a child herself.
She is intelligent and helpful but in the perfect harmony that she never portrays arrogance.
She knows what she believes but also remains malleable for the Lord to continue teaching her.
She's alluring but always modest.

Fluently, she carries an aura of grace while illuminating an enduring spirit.
She eloquently pursues holiness but never invades boastfulness or overconfidence.
Vanity is far from her but she never fails to captivate.
Her wisdom is beyond her while she continues to seek good judgement outwardly.
She's persistent but never abrasive.
She's transparent but shies away from candidness.

She has portrayed the humility of the woman at the well absent of any sin that led her there.
She's learned the devoutness of Ruth but without the hardships and independence that taught her.
Her expertise in being the Ephesians 5 wife is unrivaled even in her single years.
She has the faith of Sarah but without the trial or doubt that she faced.

The other woman is someone that single, Christian women are continually compared to. Unfailingly, we are left with the silver medal while she holds the gold firmly in her hands.
The other woman is an unattainable standard that leaves men discontent with real women who have real struggles, sin, doubt, and bad hair days.
Every relationship is a battle against her. And 26 years later, I'm still losing.

I have come to understand that life with Jesus is about sacrifice, conviction, repentance, grace, freedom, and sanctification. Not perfection, sinlessness, happiness, convenience, or effortlessness. I can't be independent and passive at the same time. I can't be strong-willed and un-opinionated simultaneously. The Lord has uniquely created me to be the daughter of Christ that I am today. He's transforming me and renewing me with every breath I breathe.

I am enough. I am loved. I am the bride of a God who doesn't entertain the charm and pretense of the "other woman."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Still My Bitter Heart

Paralytic Passions, Crippling Contentment

Hippie Jesus: A False Prophet